Emotional Support Animals


Emotional Support Animals (ESA’s) on Campus

ESA’s are not service animals as defined in the Americans with Disabilities Amendments Act of 2008 and are not afforded the same access to campus as a service animal.

ESA’s must be approved by Disability Support Services to reside in University Residence Halls but are not permitted in other facilities including classrooms, dining halls, libraries and student centers.

Requests for  ESA’s require documentation, signed and on letterhead from a licensed psychiatrist, therapist or mental health provider.  The following information is required:

  • Diagnosis and treatment history that indicates a continuing therapeutic relationship between the professional and the student.
  • The severity of the impairment and its impact on the student’s ability to reside in a communal living environment.
  • The provider’s confirmation that the ESA has been prescribed for treatment purposes and is necessary to alleviate symptoms associated with the person’s condition.

Documentation should be submitted to:

Disability Support Services
138 Slay
Greenville, NC 27858

Faxed to: (252) 737-1025
Send an email to: dssdept@ecu.edu